|The call for the position of Director General of ICOS is open ... more information here.|
A new research infrastructure to decipher the greenhouse gas balance of Europe and adjacent regions
ICOS provides the long-term observations required to understand the present state and predict future behaviour of climate, the global carbon cycle and greenhouse gases emissions.
- ICOS is on the roadmap of the European Strategy Forum on Research Infrastructures.
- ICOS is in its Preparatory phase (2008-2013), funded by the European Commission under FP7.
- ICOS is a long term (20+ years) observatory.
- 17 European research laboratories participate to the Preparatory phase.
- 17 countries have national focal points to represent their scientific interests.
ICOS mission statement
- To provide the long-term observations required to understand the present state and predict future behavior of the global carbon cycle and greenhouse gas emissions.
- To monitor and assess the effectiveness of carbon sequestration and/or greenhouse gases emission reduction activities on global atmospheric composition levels, including attribution of sources and sinks by region and sector.
ICOS tracks carbon fluxes in Europe and adjacent regions by monitoring the ecosystems, the atmosphere and the oceans through integrated networks.
Envisionned ICOS networks
More on ICOS...
Join the ICOS group on LinkedIn